Sunday, October 21, 2007

A Day In the life of The Smiths

I should know by now that we don't get throught a day unchallenged. When Pat woke up this morning I took his temperature like the good nurse that I am and it was 100.9. Anything over 100.5 requires us to call the hospital. So, we did, and of course they said bring him in. Well by the time we got there his fever had subsided, thank goodness, but he needed platelets. Our plan for the day was for Pat to attend Brock's soccer game at LMU at 2:00pm....WE MADE IT!!!!! What a gift it was for Pat to be able to see Brock play. At the end of the game the whole team came to the fence and Brock presented Pat with a LMU jersey autographed by the entire team. Needless to say I was a blubbering baby and Pat was truly touched. A moment to cherish. Pat was also able to see Chloe looking all dolled up for her homecoming dance last night, she was thrilled to have him here,...we have pictures of both of these memories and we will share them with you all on the website later this week. I don't think I've taken a deep breath all week, I am so nervous about making a mistake with Pat's meds or not being able to take care of him in the same capacity as the City of Hope nurses. I am driving him crazy, asking every 5 minutes if he is okay. Tomorrow we start the next round of chemo....please pray for it's success and for Pat to continue to battle like the warrior he is. And I know you all pray for the kids and myself and at this time we really need it, I'm starting to see cracks in our armor. This is a very tough battle, it's time to bring out the big guns. Our love and prayers to all of you.
xoxo,
Jules

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Julie & Pat,
I'm so happy Pat is home with you all and able to be there for Brock's soccer game and Chloe's dance, having his dog by his side and of course waking up with you :) I can't wait to see the photos on your blog! Julie, Pat couldn't find a better nurse than you...I know he is in great hands because you love him so much. We are all praying for your whole family and keeping the faith you will all get through this nightmare soon and return to your normal life.
Love,
The Grishabers

Anonymous said...

Pat,

We're all so happy that you are home, but remember that you have to fight like hell to stay there and we know that you are up to the task!

We all know that you will continue to get better and the next step (not to get too much ahead) is to see your smiling face and dry humor at the shop soon for a visit.

Steve

Anonymous said...

It is the smallest things in life that means so much like Brock taking the time to have his team sign a jersy and to see your Chloe off to prom - so sweet! In my world here, we work so hard to make a living, we get caught up in the hustle and the bustle of trying to keep up - that I for one have neglected the things that are the most important to me, family and the time to spend with them. Watching through this blog I can see what you all have been through. I realized that I can't replace lost time. And to see you all go through this has made me realize how I have forgotten how precious everything really is. I just wanted to say thank you for the gifts you have given back in the things you write about. The only gift that I can give is to pray for all of you all the time and it isn't for patience either.. :-) .. it is for endurance to fight this battle and to keep your sense of humor through it all, and though it is hard, it is love that is the medicine of all medicines and twenty two doses a day of that should surely put Luke to rest!

Lis & Dave